Sunday, March 1, 2015

Don't read the comments... Except the ones under recipes..

Don't read the comments

We hear that a lot as really there are some terribly ignorant people out there who hate to have to actually think...

But what I think is funny is that don't read the comments really applies to recipe websites and apps. Or in fact do read the comments might be more apt, if you want to laugh out loud. Rarely do they give you any helpful advice about the recipe but they sure can be funny. 

                           


So let's make up a user name - how about MrsICan'tCook or MC for short. MC feels it's necessary to leave a comment every time she follows a recipe, and I use the word 'follow' quite lightly.

So MC might say something like this, presumably with the idea of helping guide others in their culinary journey and recipe choices...

'Well I just have to say I don't think I will make this recipe again. I didn't have any yogurt so I used milk instead. I had to add extra flour also. I didn't have any baking powder so used cream of tartar instead. Plus just as I was making it I remembered I hate cinnamon so I just left it out. I didn't bother chopping the nuts as I needed to get this done quickly. So these yogurt cinnamon muffins really didn't turn out. They didn't even look like muffins! They tasted very bland and the texture was funny. I don't recommend this recipe'

Or

'I was unsure about making this as it seemed complicated. But I gave it a go! I don't like duck so I used chicken. I didn't have cherries so used raisins instead. I prefer not to use butter in cooking so I left that out. When it was done the chicken was a bit dry even though I cooked it for as long as the recipe stated. Plus the raisins were tough and didn't really make much of a sauce. I don't think I would make this again.' 

Poor dear MC. She really has a pea for a brain doesn't she? Look for her though. Next time you search for a recipe have a look at the comments and chances are MC will be there. It's why so many great recipes never get 5 full stars. Because people like MC will bring down the recipe score with their fantastic improvements. 

Also you know MC might be the type of person who feels she has to leave comments about every restaurant and hotel she has ever visited too... Maybe in a future blog MC will comment on her latest holiday. It won't have been fun because MC lives to criticise. If there is nothing to criticise she will simply make something up...

Till next time! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh this post is genius!

Very true though. And it's people like your Mrs ICantCook who seriously wonder why their recipes didn't work out.....ummmm....you changed/left out over half the ingredients!

Loved it hun. x

thefabulousmsnoir said...

Oh yes, I've seen these too, fortunately the recipe trolls tend to be amusing rather than hurtful :)

Great blog post Kel, you captured them perfectly !