Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Best Ever & Roller Coaster #KellsWritingChallenge

Day 8 & 9 

Best Ever and Roller Coaster...


Hmmmm I've given myself a job here. How do I combine these two things into one blog post or story? Serves me right for not writing about best ever yesterday! I could tell a story of how spending a day at a theme park going on a roller coaster was the best ever day of my life but I would be lying... So it would have to be fiction..

No when I think of best ever I don't think of roller coasters or theme parks for that matter. Sorry to say. A few things come to mind. Like when you are child everything is pretty much the best ever. A certain toy you long for and finally get for xmas, riding on a bus or train, going on holiday to...well anywhere really. A certain birthday would be the best ever.., until the next year came around and managed to beat it!

Then at some point we stop thinking like that. We take everything for granted. Gifts and holidays we suddenly see as boring or not cool. We don't appreciate a good birthday cake, or a simple scenic train journey. But it's a part of growing up I suppose. Because at some point we change again and write things like this because we realise that we need to start celebrating the little things in life and taking joy in so many different things.

Even now with all these years behind me and places I've stayed, put me in a hotel room and I get crazy excited. Just like a child. I grew out of it when I was a teen then at some point in my twenties I suddenly realised it was ok to feel child like glee over something simple. So pop me in a hotel room and I check out everything; the little bottles of toiletries come home with me, I have to check out  what label tea and coffee they offer, I may even bounce just a little bit on the bed... Maybe each time isn't quite the 'best ever.' But at least I'm enjoying myself! 

It would be tough to pick out one best ever day or year or time of my life. I just think the best ever thing in life is to be grateful, laugh, love and enjoy as much as we can.  Of course not every day will be great. There will be bad times. Ok here it comes.., like is one big roller coaster. There are highs and lows, there is anticipation, things move too fast or go too slow, sometimes you laugh and sometimes you scream. Sometimes you just want life to stop so you can get off. Sometimes you just wanna throw up...

But mostly we have a lot to be thankful for, even when things are not going so well. We can be kind to ourselves in the down times and know that a best ever moment might be just around the corner. 


There we go then... Best ever and roller coaster.., I didn't think I could go it! 

No comments: