Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Judging a book by its cover.. or a Blog as the case may be

I should be writing a blog right now. I should be coming up with something funny or informative to share with the world. What am I doing instead? Fighting with Blogger! That’s right! I hate the way my blog looks and I have been trying to fix it.
I am still not entirely happy with it but decided enough is enough for tonight and it will just have to do. But I am frustrated. There are so many nice looking blogs out there so why can’t I get mine to look nice?
First of all there seems to be a limited number of designs I can choose so that is not helpful for a start. Of course I am trapped within the realm of blogger rather than being able to make my own webpage but perhaps that is best for now. I can’t remember the last time I did anything with webpages and I have forgotten most of the HTML I learned for Ebay and Mypace. Small steps I think.
So I decided I could at least add some functions to my Blog. My twitter feed would be a great addition and it was so easy. I just clicked on a little button and this nice helpful box appeared and I popped my Twitter name in there and then it was on my page.  But then it disappeared. WTF? Where has it gone? Oh the box is there and it says Twitter but the feed is gone. So I click on the helpful little button again and I notice for the first time that those boxes that keep coming up at the bottom of my screen are actually Internet Explorer telling me that it is editing the page to prevent cross feeding. There is nothing I can click on to tell it that I want cross feeding and to leave things the bloody hell alone!
So I have given up. I will dredge through Internet Explorer tomorrow and try and find some settings to turn off so it will not interfere with my blog appearance. Or I may just take the short cut and ask hubby how to fix it! He will know right? He knows everything. But then again it has been a while since he has done any internet stuff. He does the most complex 3d animation work but I bet when I ask he may well just look at me blankly and I will be left on my own.
So this is how it is now? Writing comes with the necessity to be able to work with these gadgets and thingybobs in order to make your page look good so someone will want to read it? Are there people out there that click on a link to a blog and then close the page without reading it because they think the blog looks so last year or there is no twitter feed box or labels listed? How do they know they are not clicking away from the next big thing in writing?
If there had been blogs at the time what would Hemmingway’s have looked like? Or Jane Austen’s? Would they have even bothered? What about twitter or facebook? Can you imagine the tweets from Charles Dickens? Or Oscar Wilde?  Social media can be a great thing but you have to wonder if it is necessary. People managed to be successful writers before the internet was even invented. Was it harder for them or was it in fact easier?
But we live in a society where we do have the internet and we do have social media and so I suppose I should cut the whingeing. I know full well of course that appearances do matter.  They draw people in. People are not so stupid as to keep reading if they don’t like the content but chances are the look of something has had something to do with them being there in the first place.
It brings to mind of course the old adage that we should not judge books by their covers. We all do of course often in the greater arena to which the term applies such as judging people by the way they look but also about books themselves. There is so much more to books these days. Covers are an art form in themselves. They are designed to sell books, to hook people. A great cover will make you pick up the book and then depending on the kind of browser you are you may buy it based on that alone or read the blurb on the back. That too has to be great. It has to make you want to read the book. Chances are of course that the blurb is the most well written part of the book but once you are hooked you are hooked.
I have in the past been influenced by covers. I actually admit here to the whole world that I have bought bottles of wine because I liked the look of the label. Pathetic I know but there you have it. Sometimes the wine is great, other times average and sometimes so bad I will never buy it again.
So what does it all mean? The saying of course indicates we should not judge things merely by appearances for good or bad. A lovely label might equal crap wine. A horrible book cover may hide a masterpiece of fiction. A badly dressed slovenly person may be the best friend you could ever have if only you gave them a chance.
All these things are true but as human beings we are attracted to certain things. What is nice and attractive is different for all of us of course but many of us can not help ourselves if we see something that is visually appealing. We should then perhaps once attracted, pay close attention. Where is the wine from?  Is this a genre of fiction I usually read? What does the blurb or first paragraph tell me about the book? Is this person as nice as they look or do I feel uncomfortable with them once I have engaged with them?
Wise words indeed but it still does not answer how we manage to find the gems in the rough. The boring looking Blog pages which are actually great reads . The books with hideous covers that are masterpieces. Or the people who look scary but are in fact amazing.  What will make us look deeper to find these or will most of us not bother? It would be nice to think my writing will stand out no matter how it is presented but if I’m wise then I will help it along and make it look as nice as I can.
So that is my job over the next few weeks. I will come up with a great picture and try and iron out the problems. At some point I will probably move to wordpress so I have more options and maybe create my own website. No doubt all this will be fodder for future blogs so stay tuned.
In the meantime have a think about what you judge by its cover and how does that work out for you?

3 comments:

Lisa Devereaux said...

Funny I was sent this link yesterday.

"SOME of us may have learnt not to judge a book by its cover, but the same cannot be said for websites.

A Melbourne researcher has found web surfers were more likely to trust ''pretty'' sites over those with less visual appeal.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technology-news/to-catch-a-roving-surfer-the-prettiest-always-win-20110712-1hc7v.html#ixzz1S2qqjUoL

Good luck with Blogger :)

KSB said...

Interesting points there. Human beings are indeed drawn to attractive looking things. Since the beginning of humanity we have shown interest in adornment and decoration and sought to outdo each other in this.

As for blogs - can't stand them generally anyway. This is the only one I read.

Kellie Warner said...

I will have a read thanks Lisa! It is funny to thiink that though isn't it? I mean imagine a pretty website with unverified medical information or something like that?
I know who you are KSB and I am honored you at least read my Blog if no one else's!